Monday, November 2, 2009

Socks, birth certificates, and NaBloPoMo

Today was my birthday! Overall it was a great day. I never understand why people call in sick or stay home on their birthday; I love having everyone tell me happy birthday and give me presents!

My newspaper kids held a surprise party for me during lunch, and they actually tricked me this year. To read about last year's party, click here . They also remembered my love for new socks, and hid 28 pairs of new socks around the classroom and our computer lab. Some of the boys obviously had never bought socks for a female, but that's okay. It's the thought that counts.

I remembered yesterday that my driver's license expires today. I'm a little sad about it--the last time I renewed my driver's license, I was pregnant with Kaylin 5 years ago, and I wrote in her pregnancy journal about it. You can click here to read about last year and how not renewing my license was almost a problem.

So I dug around yesterday and found my birth certificate. After school I ventured over to the license bureau. I was happy that there was only one person in front of me, and he was almost done. Yeah! My turn! The dry, humorless woman took one look at my birth certificate, and heaved a huge sigh before handing it back to me. Apparently my offical birth certificate is not offical enough. I have to go to the county health center, pay $15 and get an "offical" birth certificate that says the exact same thing as the one in my hand.

I couldn't help myself and I asked her "Seriously?" She sighed at me again and said, "Yes, seriously." She did grant me a 60-day extension, to "compensate for my trouble." Since I'm flying to DC next week, I will try to take care of before then.

On a final note, November is the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and a few of my students are doing it. I'm going to attempt to write a blog entry every day for the month of November, or NaBloPoMo. So far I'm 2/2. With the DC trip coming up, I'm sure I will not be lacking for material.

No comments: