Thursday, August 13, 2009

Elk, buffalo and toads...oh my!

For the last day of summer vacation (for me, anyway) the girls and I plus my mom, my sister and my niece traveled to a nearby lake that has a native animal area, with buffalo and elk.

When we first got there, we couldn't find any animals and we were very disappointed. We ate our lunch at a picnic table, and as we were eating, some others arrived. Obviusly, they knew where the animals were. They stood at the fence and shook their bags of apples and carrots to interest the animals, and here came the buffalo!

We fed the elk first. The girls all lined up at the fence yelling "Elkie! Come here, Elkie!" and "Hey, Big Horn! Come here!" Here came one--oh, which carrot to pick?

He picked Macy's first.

He gobbled the whole carrot!

Macy said, "The carrot went up his nose!!" I could see his tag--#4704, and his name was Kicker!

Ever wondered what an elk tongue looks like? Here it is licking an apple slice.

We moved over to the buffalo side. Here's the girls up next to him--what a big guy!

My niece feeding the buffalo. I didn't get any pictures of the baby buffalo, and I was sad about that.


After leaving, we went for ice cream and to visit a friend who was one of the 100 people camping at the brand-new Chik-fil-a. What an experience that was!!

And today while fishing with Grandpa, the girls caught a toad. My animal-loving children wanted to bring it home, so now we have 5 pets. His name is Jackson, and he has eaten four crickets today. He's in a vase right now, and we're looking for a tank to put him in.

No comments: