Saturday, August 29, 2009

Black or Green Thumb?

I have a black thumb.

It's true. I can't keep plants alive. I once managed to keep a plant alive for a few years, but only because it was the kind that required water once a month or so. Yet eventually I still managed to kill that one too. Of course, the rest of my family grows gardens, have beautiful flower beds, and I kill things.

On another note, we have lived in this house for five years this month. Other than stripping the H I D E O U S wallpaper in the kitchen and painting the girls' rooms, we have done nothing, inside and outside. That's why I find it humorous that my house, the one with the Black Thumb, has the following flowers outside:

These beautiful roses have graced our kitchen window for five years. We've never pruned them, watered them, or touched them in anyway, and still they bloom on a vine outside my kitchen window. Like the screen in the picture? Nice touch, I know.


And this guy? He's just a small flower...

on this gigantic lilac bush on the side of the deck. Smells heavenly! Again--never touched the lilac bush. It's been there for five years.

This guy is new. He's popped up in the last few days by our front steps. Normally Bobby weed-eats around there, but since his weed-eater bit the dust, this guy has been left free to grow. There's three pretty yellow flowers on him.


So, apparently the trick for me is to not TRY to grow anything, and just let it happen on it's own.

No comments: