Thursday, January 21, 2010

And she's only 8...

I know the teenage years are going to be rough, with two girls. Bobby wants to move into the fire station when that happens, but he is not leaving me alone with them. I expect those years to be rough. But I didn't expect it to start so soon...

Macy was a different child this weekend. A snotty, whiny, bratty, talk-backy, rude version of herself. There were moments when I spotted the real Macy through that, but by and large she was not herself. I'm not sure she smiled, unless it a close-lipped snarl at her sister counts. She argued over everything--a girl who loves Sprite suddenly argued with a friend that she hates Sprite, just to be argumentative and difficult.

Then Monday morning she woke up, and my sweet Macy was back. The one who likes to play with her sister instead of being downright hateful to her. The one who is nice to me and not rude. The one who smiles and laughs and runs around trying to fart in our faces. The one who hugs her dogs and loves all over them. It was a pleasant day, after a weekend of tears.

She did have a minor fit Tuesday night over a cell phone. She wants one. Yes, she's 8 and wants a cell phone. A 9-year-old in her dance class has one. "But I'm going to be the ONLY one of my friends without a cell phone!"  She must have forgotten I'm friends with her friends mother's, and we quickly decided none of them were getting a cell phone anytime soon, shutting that down pretty quickly.

I am so not ready for this...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh Sister.....we have a lot of drinking together in our future! The guys don't get to be the only ones to have an escape! :)