Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween, Part Dos

I can only breath a sigh of relief that Halloween is over. What a day we've had. I feel old right now, trying to keep up with my kids today.

Round One: After a morning of boring meetings, I skipped out early to head to Macy's Halloween party at school. Craziness ensued. 22 first-graders hyped up on sugar and plain adrenaline over the excitement. Time: 2:00-3:10.

Round Two: With my niece the Kitty Cat and my sister, we headed up to the downtown area for some trick-or-treating at local businesses. It's a Let's See How Many People I Can Run Into Event. Bobby was working (for the fourth Halloween in a row) so we visited him by the ambulance too. Time: 4:00-5:00.

Round Three: After a quick pizza for dinner (I'm not counting how many times I've had pizza for lunch/dinner this week) we headed up to the local high school for another Safe Halloween event. No candy (thank goodness) but tons of little prizes and trinkets: for my kids, that is better than candy. Had they been any good at the games, they would have won more trinkets, but alas, they have their mother's coordination. Time: 6:00-7:00.

Round Four: After dropping off the car, we set off on our foot around our neighborhood. NOT ONCE did I have to remind the girls to say thank you, and Macy commented that only person said "you're welcome."They even took turns ringing the doorbell without hitting each other. What more can I ask for? Time: 7:15-8:00.

[Side Note: In case you live under a rock, a porch light on AND lights on in your house means you are open for business on Halloween. If you don't want trick-or-treaters, turn off your lights!]

Round Five: We set up shop in the driveway, and later inside, to hand out candy. Macy is a very generous candy-giver; she was giving full handfuls to people. Hey, it was her candy--I DID NOT buy any candy; they just handed out candy they'd gotten over the last few days, and we STILL have tons left. Macy told every single one "you're welcome." Time: 8:00-9:00

Funniest event of the night: Kaylin went to open the door to give out candy, and it was some older kids in a scary costume. She took one look at them, turned around and ran into the kitchen. She slipped on the hardwood floor and slid across it, sending candy all over the floor. She hopped up and said, "I'm ok!"

And when has this ever happened: Macy fell asleep on the couch at 9:15. As she likes to say, "I do not know."

Once again, I feel like an old grandma tonight who can't hack it with their kids. My right leg has been bothering me the last few days, so I'm downing some ibuprofen and going to bed. Next year, Bobby is on duty and I'm handing out candy.

No comments: