Thursday, October 9, 2008

Conversations with the young

Tonight in the car, I had the following conversation with Kaylin:
Kaylin: Mom?
Me: Yes?
Kaylin: I just forgot what I was going to say.
Me: Hmmmm.
Kaylin: Will you think really hard, really hard, and let me know
what I was going to say?
Me: (pause) Um, Kaylin, I'm not sure I can do that.
Kaylin: Please? Think really hard and let me know what I was going to say.

Lesson learned: there is nothing your child won't ask you to do.

Then I was helping Macy put names on her school pictures, and we were down to three left. Earlier I had teased her about having a boyfriend, and she did her usual angry tantrum she does whenever she is teased about a boyfriend. Then she says, "I'll give a picture to Dylan. He's Paige's boyfriend, and that makes him my friend too." As I started to ask again about her boyfriend, she proceeded to get angry again.

Lesson learned: it's okay to talk about other's boyfriends, but not Macy's.

No comments: