Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reflections over tater tots

"My mom is eating lunch with me." She beams as she holds tightly onto my arm.

"Mom, here's where we get our trays." She expertly picks up a green tray bigger than half of her body and hands one to me.

"Mom, you forgot your milk. I'll get you one." She jumps up and runs to get me a carton of white milk. I smile through my tears at her and say thanks.

For five years, I have had a child at Blue Jay Junction, the preschool at my high school. For five years, I have hassled with a kid in the morning, but enjoyed peeking in at them throughout the day. I consider their two teachers great friends, I have gone on field trips with them, and eaten lunch with them in the high school cafeteria.

But that time is coming to an end. I ate lunch with Kaylin today, the last time I will be able to eat lunch with a child of mine at preschool. She grinned at the student helper across from us and said, "I'm going to kindergarten next year so my mom is eating lunch with me for the last time!" My eyes well up with tears again. The student helper smiled sympathetically at me. I know her mom is going through the exact same emotions, as she is graduating and going to Mizzou in the fall.

How can she be old enough to go to kindergarten? What am I going to do when I only have to get myself ready in the morning? My car ride to school will be significantly quieter, that's for sure. But my baby will be in kindergarten.

1 comment:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Aghhh!!! I could hardly read this, I don't even want to think about that time for me! Luckily, I spaced my boys pretty far apart (almost 4 years!) so I have a couple more years to prepare for the pain!