Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day at the Farm

The girls and I traveled out south to a farm on Wednesday. It looked like rain, but we tried it anyway and won! It was cloudy and a tad bit chilly, but really a very nice day.

We ate a picnic lunch, then began looking at the animals. Macy came eye to eye with this black goat outside the fence, and was pretty excited. Can you tell my girls our city girls who don't see live farm animals very often?



The farm has a petting zoo with baby goats where you can buy a handful of food for 25 cents. I warned the girls to try to spread out their goat food, and not give it all to one goat. I shouldn't have wasted my breath. As soon as they walked in the pen, they were attacked by goats! They were jumping up on the girls, knocked over Kaylin at one point, and the girls were so startled they dropped their foot on the ground. They handled it well; laughing instead of crying.

In this picture, if you look close, you can actually see the food dropping out of Macy's hand. (In these pictures, I was trying a new setting on my camera, and I think they turned out well.)



Kaylin running from the goats...



She's lost her shoe! "MOOOMMMM! My SHOE!! HELP!!!"


This goat, shoulder-high on Kaylin, wouldn't leave her alone. Even after she had dropped all her food, he wouldn't leave her alone.

Moving on, we played on the playground, saw the bunnies, chickens, prairie dogs, bobcats, and owls. Here they are in the little wood cabin.

Oh, be still my heart. She is beautiful. Downright beautiful.

One of the final stops was where the girls bottle-fed pygmy goats. These goats were just as aggressive, but the girls held tightly to the bottles. Kaylin had trouble--she wouldn't hold the bottle still long enough. So the poor goats would start to drink, then she'd rip the bottle out of their mouths and move on to another goat. I felt sorry for them. Finally, they drank all the milk out of her bottle and moved on to another child to harass.





This little guy just wanted to chew on the bottom of my capri's. He wasn't interested in a bottle, just wanted to nibble on my hem.

Last stop of the trip was the fishing dock. We didn't pay $3 for a fishing pole and 3 worms, and opted instead for the 25 cent fish food. They spent about 20 minutes throwing food into the water. Hundreds, literally hundreds, of fish stared out of the water, fighting each other for the drops of fish food.


It was a beautiful day. Especially since the grand total of money spent for fun was $3. We'll be visiting again soon.

No comments: