Thursday, January 22, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr and Me

Macy brought home a journal today that she did in school, comparing herself to Martin Luther King, Jr. A couple pages were cute, so I scanned them in to share with you.

This first one is about hurt feelings and sadness. The paragraph talks about when MLK had hurt feelings and sadness, and she had to fill in a time for her. She put "when my dads unk dide" [translated] "when my dad's uncle died." But look at the picture--it is him in the casket, with blue lining, and he's frowning with a tear on his face. And flowers around, just like the funeral. Cute! I didn't realize she was so sad about that, considering she really didn't know him that well. Luckily she has nothing else in her life to be sad about.

I'm just thankful she didn't put something like, "when Jessica is mean to me" or "when people laugh at me"



This one is about what they are good at. She put "sunging and dasin and swimming"[translated] "singing and dancing and swimming." Look at her singing! And look at her swimsuit! Hysterical! Like I would let her out of the house in a swimsuit like that!



I think this last one is MLK, judging from the hair and mustache (although it kind of looks like Hitler to Bobby and me)



Cute little project! As an English teacher, I appreciate the text-to-self connections made. As a mom, I love the artwork and her thoughts.

No comments: