Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar eclipse and unexpected snow day

Last night was deadline night for newspaper. The kids worked hard, played hard, and were all generally in a silly mood most of the night. Around 9 or so, I received an email from a student who had already gone home. He told me to go check out the lunar eclipse--"it won't happen again until you're old and I'm middle-aged." Thanks, Jake. Appreciate that thought. So about 5 or 6 of us went out, some without shoes, some without coats, some in tank tops, to watch the eclipse. I'm glad we did; it was neat. We joked that when they are middle-aged and I'm old and this happens again, we can remember this moment. They are good kids.

I was ready to walk out the door this morning when my friend called with the news we didn't have school due to icy roads. I thought, "Oh no! The paper isn't done!" My second thought was, "Oh no! We are out of snow days and will have to make this up!" But I went back to bed for a couple hours, took Macy to school (Kearney didn't cancel; very, very odd) and called our publisher. She said we could finish up Friday morning and send it in. Now if we have snow day tomorrow, we're in trouble....

No comments: