Wednesday, February 13, 2008

As Jesse said, when life gives you lemons...

A couple weeks ago, I was asked to bring a dessert to Macy’s Valentine party. I didn’t want to be the working mom who claims she is too busy and always buys something store bought. Macy and I decided to make cupcakes with pink frosting. I found heart-shaped cupcake holders, bought pink frosting with sprinkles, and we were set.

Now, not trying to complain, but I have been extremely busy lately. We had another jam packed weekend, Bobby was out of town, I had two assignments due in master’s classes, that technology presentation on Monday morning, newspaper contests that had to be postmarked Tuesday, along with trying to teach, grade papers, turn in grades for report cards, and a husband sick with the flu. I say all that to say—I wanted to work on these cupcakes with Macy.

So I juggled some things around, had the girls do their valentines on Monday, their homework last night, and we spent tonight after dance class making the cupcakes.. We really had a great time, and they looked good. Macy trotted happily off to bed, dreams of cupcakes with pink frosting dancing in her head. She was so excited to show them off tomorrow.

You know this story has a bad ending. I went to take the cupcakes out of the pretty heart-shaped cupcake holders to smooth down the frosting, and ½ the cupcake stuck in the holder. Looked horrible. I tried another one. Same thing. They looked worse than horrible. No way can I take these things to school tomorrow.

So, the night before Valentine’s Day, I trek out to Country mart to find something. I’ve learned that’s about like trying to find a toy the night on Christmas Eve. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Now here it is, 9:30 Wednesday night, and I’m cooking break-apart chocolate chip cookies. The other mothers will have elaborate homemade snacks, and my daughter will have chocolate chip cookies. At least they will be on a pretty red plate.

Ok, I’m done with my pity-party. Thanks for listening.

No comments: