Monday, January 31, 2011

Hi, my name is Jennifer

and I'm a pop-aholic. Always have been. In recent years, I switched to Coke Zero, because I can't stand Diet Coke, and wanted to avoid all the calories in the real stuff. But I drank a lot of pop regardless.

It's been a week since my last Coke, or pop of any sort. Last Sunday night was the last one. I had a small amount of 7up last week, but other than that, it's been water, milk, and juice. I am allowing myself lemonade at lunch, because it's free and it's like crack. It was entirely a spur of the moment decision, based on losing some weight and avoiding all the unhealthy stuff in pop.

It's been really, really hard. I crave pop. One of my students said she read somewhere that it's harder to give up caffeine than cigarettes, and I believe it after this week! Another student bowed down to me in admiration today when I told her about it. I've noticed certain places are hotspots, places where I've always bought a Coke.  It seems harder at those places and times. But it's been rewarding...after the headaches stopped (oh, the headaches!), I felt more clear-headed. And my pants fit better. Nothing wrong with that!

I don't intend to give up caffeine forever, just trying to get myself over this crazy addiction. I gave myself a two-week limit, then after that, I'll try and see how I can handle it.

One more week. I can do this.

No comments: