Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 8--Reading the Bible in 90 days

A friend mentioned to me about this reading the Bible in 90 days challenge, and I laughed at her (as I sat next to her son in the NICU; ironic after reading Genesis). But it started in couple days, and the next thing I knew, I had picked up my Bible and started the challenge. I've tried the Read the Bible in a Year thing, and failed miserably at it. But something about this seems easier--you get done in a mere 3 months instead of 12, and there are some amazing women blogging and doing the same thing, and lots of resources online to help. Plus lots of new friends on Twitter!

Today is Day 8--we've read all of Genesis and Exodus and are starting Leviticus today. Here are some of my thoughts, in no particular order and none terribly deep, after reading the first 2 books:

1. I want to know excatly how Moses' face looked "radiant" after seeing God.
2 I'd forgotten how full of sex, denial and betrayal Genesis is!
3. I can't fathom the idea of multiple wives--how would that work? I kept picturing HBO's series Big Love where the husband went back and forth between homes, and they all lived next door to each other.
4. I kept thinking, while reading Exodus, how awesome for Moses to sit with God and listen to him, and to write down instructions directly from him.
5 It's easy to get mad at the Israelites for grumbling and complaining against God--"how could they after seeing the wonderful miracles he performed?" but yet how often I do the same thing.
6. Genesis read like a novel to me.
7. I wonder what it would be like to live until 150 or 350. I wonder if they got bored?

That's it for now. Each Monday we'll do a check-in, and I hope to keep plugging along. This week will really test me--VBS in the morning and Girl Scout camp at night, and the not-so-exciting books of Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

To read more about this challenge, check out this link Mom's Toolbox;

No comments: