Thursday, December 10, 2009

The post in which I appear negligent and a drug addict

Three straight nights of sniffling, coughing, up all night by the little ones.

Three straight nights of Bobby working at the fire station, leaving me to handle the 3 am wake up cries. And the 4 am ones. And the 4:30 ones.

There was not going to be a fourth.

I raided the medicine cabinet, and found only Benedryl. IThat'll work. I checked the dosage-- For kids ages 6-12, 1-2 teaspoons. Well, Kaylin is almost 6. I grabbed a tablespoon, forced them to drink the stuff, and sent them off to bed. 15 minutes later they were conked out. Hard.

Then I washed off the spoon. Hmmm, this is a tablespoon. I think the dosage was for a teaspoon. I wonder what the conversion is. I googled it, of course, and found that 1 tablespoon=3 teaspoons. Oops. So I overdosed my kids on Benedryl. No wonder they were so sleepy!

I shook Kaylin a little, and she rolled over and sighed. Good, she's alive. Macy was whimpering in her sleep, so I knew she was okay.

And now I'm off to take a muscle relaxer to help me sleep. Nothing like a drug-induced sleep at our house tonight.