Thursday, July 23, 2009

Goodbye, Iowa City!

In a couple hours I will be getting on a wonderful yellow school bus heading home. Can't wait to see my little girls and husband. Thoughts on the week up here:

University of Iowa is a gorgeous campus. Good thing it's a Big Ten school instead of Big 12, or I would feel bad saying that. It's a hilly campus, though. And our hotel was at the bottom.

When students are met with a college cafeteria of endless food options, they will take advantage of it and eat like they have been deprived of food for a month.

In that cafeteria, there are four places to get drinks. All four have the same choices. Students will all go to the first one and stand in line, leaving the other three completely open.

I love that the cafeteria and vending machines here have Coke Zero, my ultimate favorite. I was not looking forward to week of withdrawals, and I didn't have to!

I am terrible at Ping Pong and Foosball.

We trespassed onto railroad tracks. And a student took pictures.

Whitey's is the best ice-cream around, hands down.

Much like days of old, students will still do self-piercings. However, instead of only ears, they will pierce the little web under their tongue. And take pictures.

One of the things I love about my job is the influence I can have with them. Some of them are in that adolescence-hate-their-parents-and-everything-they-say-phase. If that same advice comes from me, it doesn't sound as preachy as their parents. I just try to give the students a positive adult role model. Sometimes not so positive, but to be someone they can reach out to.

No comments: