Sunday, September 28, 2008

We survived

Back from our night of camping.

The girls watching the sunset.


Kobe watching the girls.


Let me preface the next two pictures by saying I THOUGHT the girls were playing innocently in the water, looking for seashells. I guess they were looking for seashells--I just didn't realize they were looking in mud. And they did find some.



View of the sunrise from our tent.


Girls doing their best air guitar impression in front of our tent.


Observations of our night:
1. Sometimes I look at my high school kids and wonder how they ended up like they did. I wonder if they had no positive parental influences, or if they just went astray from their upbringing. The family (I use that term loosely) two campsites down really proved that sometimes they just have poor upbringings. They were in the water by our campsite, and thank heavens the girls weren't paying attention to what they were saying. We'll leave it at that. If they hadn't gotten out of the water soon, we were going to move campsites, tent already set up and all. But they did, and they were quieter at their camp. The worst offender of all was a teenage boy, whose parents laughed at his inappropriate behavior and language. I'm so thankful Bobby and I both had wonderful role models, and pray we can be the same for the girls.

2. I love my husband to death, but the man can not build a fire. He makes excuses everytime, but he can not build a fire. (Insert your own firefighter joke here). Let's just say we did not make smores or roast marshmellows.

3. We wondered why the man on the other side of us even bothered to camp. He and his four kids showed up at 6:30. He quickly set up the tent, quickly cooked dinner, yelled at them continusouly to stay out of the water, to help him with something, then they were in their tents, lights out, by 8:30. Then they were packed up and leaving at 8:00 this morning. Why bother?

4. Kobe loves to swim. Must be the lab genes... she also looses some hearing when the water is up to her ears. At least Bobby didn't have to go in after her like he did the last time we took her to the lake.

5. We made a pact to do more camping next summer.

No comments: