Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

We haven't really talked with Macy about what happened on September 11. It wasn't deliberate, just never really thought about it. Tonight Bobby and I were in the kitchen talking, and I mentioned something about the date. Macy came running in, talking about the twin towers, airplanes, and how many people died. She didn't seem to know more than that, but at dinner she drew picture after picture of an American flag, and wrote "I love America" under them. She wore a shirt with an American flag on it to school today.

Just another example of how she is growing up. Subjects that we previously haven't talked about are becoming fair game. We've already talked about smoking, and I have her believing that it is the most disgusting thing ever. I suppose sex and alcohol are next on the plate.

I am glad, however, that she didn't mention anything about firefighters dying in those twin towers. Possibly her teacher didn't mention it, since she knows Bobby's occupation. Or perhaps Macy didn't make the connection. Either way, I'm thankful, as that is a conversation I am not ready to have.

No comments: