Saturday, August 23, 2008

Seriously, how is she so big?

Today Kaylin had a birthday party around lunchtime, so I dropped her off and Macy and I went to lunch together. I feel like I don't get any one-on-one time with her ever. Kaylin goes to school with me, so we have about 15 minutes each way together. I miss that time with Macy.

So after dragging her away from the party, we went to lunch. As soon as we got in the car, floodgates opened and she talked non-stop. [Motormouth nickname again?] We got to the restaurant, and she wanted to sit by me instead of across from me. Again, non-stop talking. I kept reminding her to eat! We journeyed to the gas station to fuel up the car, and then back to the birthday party. It was only about an hour, but oh, it felt so good to talk with her alone. No Bobby, No Kaylin. Just us two.

I learned she likes first grade, but wishes there were two recesses. I learned she loves the lockers, and wants more magnets. I learned she is excited about her jazz class, and very excited about her new tap shoes. I learned she can't wait for basketball, and wants Bobby to coach her again. I learned she loves to dribble the basketball. I learned she doesn't like spicy food. I learned her feelings get hurt when someone won't play with her. I learned she wants a bowling or gymnastics or High School Musical birthday party. I learned she loves her birthday being so close to Christmas b/c she gets tons of presents. I learned she doesn't want to get married.

And I learned she is growing up so fast. She's funny and quirky--she has a wonderfully soft full-size bed in her room, and she sleeps on the floor. She breaks into tears at the drop of a hat (hmmm, wonder where she gets that from?) She's a good friend, even when those friends are mean to her. She doesn't like french fries. She would ride the tallest roller coaster, but hates water slides. Chicken patty day in the cafeteria is her favorite. She didn't complain one time about spending the entire summer in a cast. And I can't wait to see the young woman she grows up to be.

No comments: