Monday, May 28, 2012

Red hair don't care

Macy has been begging to dye her hair red for months. We've had discussions with our hairstylist about the best way to accomplish this without permanently damaging her hair or ruining it somehow. I was not about to strip her hair and bleach it, in order to dye it. So we reached a compromise- IF we could find a non-permanent red hair color at Walmart, we'd do it. She and I looked at every.single.box of hair dye. There are plenty of reds, but not wash out ones. She was not really pleased with the color we picked out- #23 medium auburn- but we bought it and headed home.

On went the dye, and i somehow got it all over her face and shoulders. She looked like an oompah loompa or like she had a really bad spray tan. But it all washed off in the shower.

She is very happy about her hair. It washes out in 28 shampoos, which I'm happy about. No permanently damaging her hair. Who knows what it will look like when it starts fading out.

I try to be a laid back mom on the things I can be laid back about- I fuss with her enough over way more important things, so it's nice to be able to let her do things like this. This is what she'll remember-"remember when I was 10 and you let me dye my hair red?" or the time I dyed her hair blue with Kool-Aid and hopefully she won't remember the fights, or all the times I had to say no. You have to pick your battles as a parent...you can't say no all the time. 

No comments: