Monday, May 7, 2012

Haiku's

Friday, we were looking at haiku's in Creative Writing. My brother has a blog with haiku's, so I pulled a couple of his to share with the kids. I picked the following two:

brandon's been here
strainer in the sink
alfredo jar soaking wet
scent of pasta wafts

Moose
moose in the window
patiently watching the street for
mom's arrival home 

As you may or may not remember, haiku's follow an exact 5-7-5 syllable per line rule. One very quick kid pointed out the middle line of the Moose haiku has 8 syllables. Yep, it sure does. So of course I had to email my brother to point this out to him. His response, in the form of a haiku:

Students pondering
the usage of eight   oh my
the humanity!

When they came in to class this morning, I had it written on the board. The ones who were awake chuckled, the ones who were sleep looked confused.  A couple said they were going to write back to him; we'll see if they do.

Fun times on a Monday!

No comments: