Wednesday, April 15, 2009

In Phoenix!

Arrived in Phoenix this afternoon. Had two really bumpy flights, and some mechanical issue where they had to disconnect something (I really didn't want to listen to the problem) but we arrived safe and sound.

We did our obligatory trip to the Hard Rock Cafe, accidently rode the light rail in the wrong direction for about 25 minutes, and visited Tempe, home of Arizona State University.

A couple students and I hiked up a small mountain, Hayden Butte (link here) We were in flip flops, which was probably not the smartest thing. It was steep! I cut my hand on a rock and didn't realize it until later. It was fun, though. I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

We have five girls with us on this trip. They are really good kids, too. Tonight on the light rail we talked for about 20 minutes about BOOKS. It was so neat to have a conversation like that, instead of boys, clothes, make-up, etc. To read accounts of my trips with students to Philadelphia and St. Louis, click here and here and ! here

Tomorrow is the zoo, the botanical gardens, and an art museum. Another full day! It's about 20 degrees cooler than normal, so that's disappointing.

No comments: