Sunday, April 26, 2009

Weekend Recap

Friday I went to Macy's class to see the movie "Earth" (or, since she can't say her "th" sound very well, "Earf"). I had no idea what the movie was about, and holy moly macaroni it was spectacular!! It followed different animals around the globe-polar bears in Antarctica, elephants in Africa, among others--and the cinematography was absolutely stunning. I can't imagine how long and how intense the filming was. Some of the kids got bored, but not our future vet Miss Macy. She didn't even bat an eye when the lions attacked a baby elephant. I would highly recommend this movie! Definitely not just a kids movie. We then went to a park to eat lunch, then I went back to school for about an hour. Ah, the joys of a student teacher are quickly coming to an end.

Kaylin's kindergarten screening was Friday afternoon, and she did fine. Her gross motor skills--standing on one foot, jumping, etc.--are below where they should be, but I am not concerned about that. Just lingering effects from her hip dysplasia still. They asked her to write her last name, and she said, "I don't want to." Ah, There's my independent Kaylin. We are now officially all set for kindergarten!

Then I had to get both girls ready for The Big Dance Recital. Hair perfect--Macy in a bun, Kaylin in curls--Makeup perfect, costumes on and out the door by 6. The show went off without a hitch, and the girls did fantastic. It was a late night, though; I think we got home after 10. No pictures or video of these performances, since it was the actual performance. Of course, we'll buy the DVD for $30. :(

Two men sitting behind us were completely annoying--talked through the entire thing, and not in a whisper. You would think from teaching high school that I would be able to tune them out, but no. They felt the need to make comments on every dance, every song, every costume, in addition to discussing the benefits and disadvantages of Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, computers, emails, and anything technological. I learned all kinds of things about these two men, and never even knew what they looked like. I went back and forth wanting to say, "Do you mind keeping it down?" to "SHUT UP!" and never did say anything to them.

Yesterday and today were spent relaxing.


Conversation with Kaylin in the car tonight:

K: Did you know that Jesus died on the cross and then came alive again and is in heaven?
Me:Yes, I did know that.
K: If I'm tall enough for the Fury of the Nile next time we go to Worlds of Fun, I want to ride it. I won't be scared.
Me: Ok.
K: You can have any kid of pet you want, you know. Dogs, cats, fish, monkeys, you really can have any kind of pet you want. What about a puma? Can you have a puma for a pet?
Me: No, I really don't think you can have a puma for a pet.
K: Ok, no puma. When I get home I am going to eat a hot dog and some Cheetos.
Me: Sounds good.

No comments: