Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Let's see how many times I can visit St. Louie...

Here's what has happened to me so far today on a trip to St. Louis with my high school students...

1. At the Amtrak station at Union Station, I dropped my laptop (luckily in its case) down the stairs. All my papers and such fell out and scattered down 10 or so steps. A long line was forming behind me. My students stood at the bottom of the stairs and laughed at me, and then one nice one came and rescued me. For the record, that's the third time I've dropped my laptop.

2. I had to use the bathroom on the train. As I was doing my business, I looked up and the door to the bathroom was wide open. Yep. As I was going to the bathroom. So I quickly held the door shut with one hand, as I tried to pull up my pants with my other hand. That didn't work out so well. The students wondered why I was laughing when I came out of the bathroom, so I had to tell them. You can imagine how they reacted...

3. As we were stopped on the tracks in Hermann, MO, I saw some German writing on one of the buildings. I know a little German, so I said, "I wonder if I can read what that says." Then I realized the sign was in English. Yes, once again the students laughed hysterically at me.

4. When the light rail intercom says, "This train is no longer in service", that means you need to exit the train. Especially when they announce it 10 times. We did not realize that. You are not allowed to stay on the train.

5. Macy ended up in the nurses office with a fever. When I explained that I was on a train and couldn't come get her, the nurse said, "Well, that's one heck of a field trip!"

6. I forgot my toothbrush (Bobby, I know you are shocked to hear that) and when I called the front desk, they brought 4 to my room. Guess they thought I had some nasty breath!

We're here until Sunday, so I'm sure I will have more exciting stories to tell. Stay tuned!

No comments: