Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Words paint such a more vivid picture

Twilight came out at the movie theater on Friday night, and I couldn't wait to go. But due to complicated schedules and plans, my friends and I couldn't go until last night. I blogged here about the books back in Macy--they are fantastic.

I must say that the book is much better than the movie. You know how when you read a book, you create mental pictures as to what the characters sound like, look like, what certain houses look like, certain streets are curvy, not straight? Nothing matched from my head to the big screen, and that was problematic for me. A big part of the book is how smooth and Mr. GQ Cool Edward is, and that just doesn't come across in the movie. He is almost creepy. And Bella. Oh, strong and confident Book Bella comes across as snobby and almost mean.

And I know I should have clued in on the fact that Jacob was Native American--I mean, it's totally obvious in the book. But in my mind, he wasn't for some reason. And when he came on the screen, it was like, "Duh. Of course he is Native American!"

There were, of course, a few scenes in the movie that weren't in the book at all, and that is fine. I'm okay with minor changes for the sake of Hollywood. It's hard to condense a 500 page book down to two hours, so some sacrifices have to be made.

But the main problem is you can't replace words. Stephenie Meyer writes with such beautiful prose, such beautiful language, and that is lost in translation. Words can convey so much more than a picture ever can. You fall in love with Edward and Bella, Alice and Jasper, Carlisle and Esme, and Charlie because of what is revealed in their words and watching their characters develop. That is lost when the words are taken away. Words allow you to make your own pictures, to create meaning based on what they say, to allow yourself to get lost in their world. Books allow you to say, what a minute, what just happened? and allow you to re-read a section to understand it better, and to understand the characters better.

With all that said, would I go see the movie again? In a heartbeat. Did I laugh a ton? Oh, yeah. Did I cry? Um, do you know me at all? Of course I did. Will I go see the second one, which is obviously coming, judging by the amount of foreshadowing? Can't wait.

And I absolutely in awe of how this series has inspired so many reluntant readers to pick up the book and read it. You wouldn't believe how many copies I see carried around, or how long the waiting list is at the library. One of my girls who hasn't read hardly anything all year flew through it and is now 1/2 way through the second one. Maybe this will spark their interest in reading and that fire will continue to grow.

I guess there is a reason I teach writing and try to inspire a love of reading for a living.

No comments: