Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dinnertime

We typically don't eat together as a family. (GASP. The HORROR.)

We  just have funky schedules at night, and most of the time the girls just eat in front of the TV (GASP) and we (or just me, if Bobby is at the station) eat in the kitchen.

So last night I thought we'd try eating together as a family. I know it's important, blah, blah, blah. I cleared off the kitchen table. We had exactly 15 minutes to eat together, before the evening activities of Girl Scouts and dance started. Bobby had thrown chicken and potatoes in the crock pot in the morning, so the whole house smelled yummy.

The girls and I sit down, Bobby is doing something in the kitchen, probably taking his time sitting down at the table. Macy has a major scowl on her face, and is just picking at her food with a fork, slumped down in her seat. Kaylin is doing the same, but making little whiny noises from time to time.

"So, Macy, how was your day?" I said, very cheerful.

"Fine." She didn't even look up.

"Kaylin, how was your day?" I try the other daughter.

"Fine." Insert whiny noise after.

"Bobby, how was your day?" He has joined us by this time.

"Fine." He says, big grin on his face. He knows how painful this is.

"Mooooooooommmmmm, this is gross!" Macy whines.
"Mommmmmm, I can't eat this!" Kaylin says.

It didn't get a whole lot better from there. Macy ate a Lunchable, Kaylin ate 2 hot dogs, but they did talk a little more.

Roughest 15 minutes of my life.

No comments: