Saturday, October 17, 2009

Recap

Recap of the last few days:

Thursday brought many a counseling session with a senior whose parents kicked her out the night before, because she had been texting during the school day. Now, they've had that rule for the two years I've had this student, and she's been consistently breaking it. I have no idea what happened in that house, but I sure hope it was something other than just that she'd been texting during the day. I can't imagine kicking the girls out of my house for something like that. At the end of the day, she left with her mom after an hour in the guidance department. All appears well.

Monday and Thursday were parent/teacher conferences. I usually only see the parents whose kids have A's. Funny thing--the kids who are flunking  and reading way below grade average have parents who don't ever come to conferences. Direct correlation? I think so.

There's an interesting age difference at conferences. The students are between 15-18. Since I have a low turn out, I usually parent-watch. I see young parents--in their thirties, who had their kids young. Sometimes these parents also have a baby or toddler. Then I see the older parents--in their fourties/fifties, who had their kids  in their twenties/thirties. These parents usually look tired.

On my day off yesterday, I decided to go for a run. I haven't ran in several weeks. I cranked out 3 miles, every step painful. Today is even more painful. I was just happy that after not running, I could pick up pretty much where I left off.

I ate lunch with the girls yesterday. Kaylin wanted me to bring McDonalds, and I had a great time listening to the kindergartners yabber. I don't know her friends as well as I do Macy's, so it was nice to see them in action. I'm not sure how much longer it will be "cool" for me to eat with Macy. She didn't want me to bring food, so she could buy her lunch and sit by her friends. Because I've known many of these kids for two years, I hear choruses of "Hi Macy's Mom!" every time I go in. Somehow I always end up sitting across from this boy Landon, who was in Macy's kindergarten class. He talks my ear off everytime.

Are you still reading this mammoth post? Yeah for you!!!

No comments: