Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Eve

I grew up spending NYE at Junior and Ellen's (Hi, Ellen!). Adults would play Pitch for hours, kids would run around playing, lots of good food. Ellen would make sure to have treats for the kids, and  the TV would come on about 11:45 to watch the ball drop. Midnight would come, and we'd pack up and be home by 12:30.  Great memories I will always have with me.

We hosted NYE last night again. We've done it for a few years, not sure how many. Bobby has managed to be off somehow (except for one year). Same events at our house. Adults play games, kids run around playing, some crazy dancing on Just Dance 3 on the Wii, lots of good food. TV on at 11:55 last night (cutting it close) to watch the ball drop. Several left right away, some stayed, and some stayed until 2 am.

It makes me sad when I see people post on Facebook how they put their kids to bed at a normal hour and watched movies. One friend said they set all the clocks forward and pretended 8:00 was 12:00 so they could put their kids to bed early. 

If you've read here for any length of time, you know creating memories and traditions for my kids is huge for me. I want my kids to remember how Mom and Dad let them stay up until 2 am hanging out with friends one night a year. I want my kids to remember our house as a welcoming place where friends would come over. I want my kids to remember NYE as a fun time.

Welcome to 2012!

No comments: