Friday, November 16, 2007

Entertainment in study hall...

Every third day I have study hall, and today is my day. On Friday's we usually let them sit wherever, talk quietly, etc. We're in the auditorum, and there are about 110 kids in study hall. Today there is a strange group sitting on the floor in front of me. Three are actively playing chess with a 10X13 mat and actual chess pieces. One boy just got up and ran around the auditorum, not saying anything but punching his fist in the air. I asked the other kids what happened, and they said he had just lost. Apparently he is president of the chess club, and loses to this kid every day during study hall. Interesting...

Then we have the love triangle. Spiky Hair boy was sitting on the floor, Flat Hair Girl leaning up against him with his arms wrapped around her. They stayed like that for a long time, watching the chess match. Flat Hair Girl got up to go to the bathroom, and suddenly Spiky Hair Girl (who earlier was complaining that everyone is copying her haircut--trust me, no one would want to) is leaning up against Spiky Hair Boy with his arms wrapped around her. I can't wait for Flat Hair Girl to come back in, expecting fireworks, but she just sits down and starts playing chess.

Now I've done none of the work I've needed to during study hall today, but have been quite entertained in the meantime.