Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

I just finished this book: Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. Excellent reading. It was an Oprah book from a couple years ago. It was about a lady who was a midwife in the 198o's, during a time when home births were frowned upon by the medical community. She thought her patient died, so she did an emergency c-section to save the baby. It is revealed later that the woman wasn't dead, but the c-section killed her. The midwife then ends up on trial for involuntary manslaughter.

It was a fascinating book--really kept my interest. It was a little graphic in terms of female anatomy parts and discussions of childbirth, but as the mother of two, nothing too suprirsing! Having had two c-sections, I would also like to add how happy I am that I was numb from the chest down when they made those incisions.

No comments: