Monday, January 21, 2008

Books and basketball

Saturday night was the big MU/KU basketball game. The girls spent the night with Mom and Dad (Macy also missed her Girl Scout lock-in due to bronchitis, so I didn't have to hurry back after the game) and we headed down to Columbia with our usual bunch. The game didn't turn out the way we would liked, but it was still fun to hang out with our group of friends. I'm just glad we didn't get blown out of the water, although others in our group didn't agree.

Sunday night was Bobby's basketball game. He is playing on a league in Liberty with others his own age; their name is the Brick Layers. It's important to point out that most on his team are in their 30's, because they are playing kids in their 20's. The first Sunday they really hung in there, only losing by 5 or 6 to a bunch of my former students who are about 21. Last night didn't turn out that well--they lost by a ton. Bobby had hurt his ankle in the first game--tore ligaments in his ankle and foot and limped around all week. But he was still out there this game, with new shoes and his ankle taped.

I finished a book by Jodi Picoult, my favorite author. I stayed up until midnight last night to finish it. That's what happens to me when I get into a book--I can't wait to finish it, ignoring anything around me until I finish. This one was similar to her others--lots of characters and plot twists that all tie together in the end. One particular subplot: A man and his fiancee were involved in a car accident, and he got her out of the car. He went to rescue the woman in the other car, and his fiancee died while he was rescuing the other woman. Fast forward 5 years, and he has spent those 5 years feeling guilty that he wasn't with his fiancee when she died. Then through a course of plot twists that makes Jodi Picoult so good, he ends up falling in love with the woman he saved, unbeknowst to both of them.

I'm going to put a tally on the blog with the number of books I read in 2008. Anxious to see how many I can read in a year.

No comments: