Thursday, January 24, 2008

Every once in a while I have to schedule our newspaper deadline night on the night when Bobby is working at the fire station. I hate to do that, but due to the high school kids busy lives, or production schedules, I have to. Last night was such a time, and the girls spent the night with Mom and Dad.

I worked at the high school until about 9:30 with a fabulous group of kids, then headed home. It was very strange to come home to an empty house--just the hungry dogs to greet me. I was beat so I took a shower and went to bed. I thought, "How nice to not have to make lunches, lay out clothes for the next day, or send a child back to bed for the tenth time." I slept like a rock, and woke when the alarm went off without a child in bed with me. Since I didn't have to get Kaylin ready, I slept another 15 minutes. As I was leaving, I thought, "How nice not to have to fight Kaylin to get dressed and get her in the car."

Then as I was driving to school, again enjoying the quiet (for those of you who have been reading my blog, you know Kaylin is pretty grumpy in the car in the mornings)and I hear a new song by Trace Adkins, "You're going to miss this." The chorus goes:


You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Then I felt pretty selfish for enjoying a quiet night and morning, and thinking of the girls at 16 and 18, or 25 and 27, and wanting to spend some time with them, but they are too busy. Then I started thinking about a good friend of mine who is struggling to get pregnant, and how she would do anything to complain about having to make lunches or get a child ready in the morning. We are truly blessed with our daughters.

No comments: