Thursday, August 16, 2007

My first day...

A couple funny things happened on our first day of school.

They changed our start time from 7:30 to 7:25. The bell rings at 7:25, and there's not a single student in my class. They are all seniors, so I thought maybe they forgot about the new start time. 7:30 rolls around, and still no students. I call the office at this point, and explain that 27 of my students are missing. After our secretary finishes laughing, she starts investigating, and finds out the kids have a different room number on their schedule! I looked at my schedule, and it listed the room I was in. So somewhere there was a huge problem. I leave Room 101, go to Room 603, and bring back all 27 kids to the correct room. They were sitting there wondering where their teacher was, and I was wondering where the kids were! The first day is always horrible because the kids stare at you with a blank expression and never smile or laugh. The ice was broken with this group, because when we got back to the room they were smiling and laughing!

A couple days a week I have to eat 4th lunch (at 12:30, yuck!) and today was one of those days. I went to the fridge in the faculty lounge and my lunch was gone! yep, another faculty member ate my lunch! I had to borrow money from another teacher because I didn't have cash. I get down to the cafeteria, and because it's so late, most of the food was gone. I was not a happy camper.

I did find out who the food-stealer was, and I don't feel so bad. She's another English teacher who is 9 months pregnant. Another English teacher had made her some pasta (same as mine) and told her it was in a white bag (same as mine). She didn't have a clue she was eating someone else's lunch; she thought it was the one Nicole had brought for her!! She felt horrible, and apologized about 100 times.

Nothing else too exciting happened, but I think that was the most exciting first day of school I've ever had. It's funny that I can already tell which kids are going to be troublemakers, just from the 45 minutes I saw them today. My 6th hour is going to be the death of me. I imagine I will have horror stories soon about them...

No comments: