Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cell phone thoughts from me...

Yesterday I was walking back from dinner to the hotel. I was walking alone, enjoying the breeze, sun on my face, and time alone. Along the way I passed two students, also alone. One was listening to her iPod, and another talking on her cell phone. This was not an isolated incident; I see this all the time.

High school and college students don't know how to just be alone. They are on their cell phone, either calling or texting or surfing or playing. Faced with a few minutes alone, they don't know how to just be and enjoy time by themselves. They need to fill every moment.

And along those same lines, they don't have much cell phone etiquette. They will answer the phone in the middle of a conversation, or while they are sitting at a table with 5 others and still try to maintain both conversations. At the mall on Monday, one of my sophomores was texting while the clerk was trying to hand back her change. Obviously the clerk was annoyed, and the girl didn't understand that text message could have waited 10 more seconds.

When we go to Philly in November, I am making a rule: no cell phones at the table, or while we are touring the city. I can just see us at the Liberty Bell, and someone is talking to their boyfriend at home the whole time.

2 comments:

sir rod said...

LOL, BRB cuz otp
Cya fav lil sis
BTW U r kewl

the higgins' said...

aamof,u r kewl 2
b4n fab big bro
oo, sete
h&k
<3