Monday, June 30, 2008

Final Branson thoughts

We returned home Sunday afternoon. Feels so good to be home! Kobe and Gabe were very happy to see us, and are jealous of any attention given the other one.

We kept noticing three groups of people while in Branson:

1. "I'm just here to have fun." Average, ordinary citizens. Bobby and I fell in this group. The average citizens wore regular clothes, rode the rides with their children, and just blended in. No distinguishing features. The majority fell in this group, with the two minorities listed below.

2. "Look at how much money I have" citizens were my least favorite. We noticed these groups of people right away. Maybe it was the Prada sunglasses, diamond hoop earrings, diamond tennis bracelet, manicure and pedicure, and Tiffany necklace that gave it away, but these people were way overdressed for a trip to an amusement park. They did not ride the ride with their children--who, by the way, were as elaborately dressed as they were; who sends their kid to an amusement park in a Ralph Lauren sundress with matching hair bows?--but wandered around trying to bring attention to their Vera Bradley diaper bag or texting on their Blackberry as much as a teenager.

3. "This is our first vacation in 20 years!" citizens is our final group. This group obviously doesn't get out of the house much. They had pasty white faces, arms, and legs--at least the part you could see behind their white socks pulled up to their knees, plaid capri pants, and button up shirt, complete with fanny packs for everyone around. We saw one family where all 4 of them had flip-up sunglasses on their glasses. These are the people who get pickpocketed-they pay no attention to their surroundings, walk around reading a map, oblivious to anyone around them. In contrast to group 2, this group thinks Branson is the greatest thing since sliced bread and wouldn't trade the trip for the world.

I also noticed a difference in the stores in Branson. All along the strip are local stores (with the exception of the outlet malls) that are locally owned, and many have been there since I was a child. They sell crafty type things, or Branson t-shirts and mugs. Group # 3 feels at home here.

In stark contrast is the Branson Landing. Built on the riverfront in the last three or four years, there is nothing locally owned. It's all the same names you'd find in a upper-scale mall. You see a lot of Group #2 down here.

And finally, I played the license plate game. I've done this since I was a kid, when I'm sure my parents wanted to shut me up for a few minutes. Now I feel a compulsion to do it every time I'm in Branson. Keeps me busy. Parking lots are my favorite, becuase you can just walk by and score several states. I hate the states that don't have license plates in the front, becasue you have to turn around and try to catch the state as the car is speeding by.

I got 35 states this time, which is about what I usually get in the summer. All of the midwest states, of course. Some far aways ones: New York, Utah, Maryland, Massachussetts, California, Florida, New Jersey, North and South Dakota, and Alaska. Alaska seems unusual, but I get it every time I play the game. I also got Ontario, and one "US government; for offical use only."

Wow, that was long. No more Branson posts!

No comments: