Friday, May 2, 2008

Scary storm last night...

Massive storms ripped through the area last night. The girls had spent the night with Mom and Dad, and Bobby was at the fire station, so I was home alone. When I went to bed, I called Bobby and told him to call me if I needed to go to the basement. That's the advantage of a having a firefighter as a husband!

I woke up around 2:15, with wind absolutley pounding the window right next to my bed. I went to the living room to watch the news, and I had left the living room windows up a little. The whole house sounded like a train was coming through. I closed the windows, and laid on the couch and waited for the storm to die down. The dogs were highly unconcerned; I'm glad we have two laid-back dogs and not ones that freak out in this kind of weather. I surveyed our area this morning, and the only real problem is the swing is knocked over.

Talked to my mom this morning, and the girls and my dad slept through the whole thing! Some of the neighborhoods in my school district were hit pretty hard, so a bunch of kids are gone today. I have two right now in my 3rd hour!! Houses are ripped apart, houses ripped off the foundation, walls are missing, etc. Pretty scary pictures. Our house appears to be built very well, and for that I am thankful. A lot of those houses that are destroyed are newer, and that makes me wonder about the level of construction.

They are saying it was hurricane level winds that came through, not necessarily a tornado. Funny to think about, considering we are MILES away from a body of water!

No comments: