Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What's in a name?

We decided pretty early in my pregnancy with Macy what her name was. We struggled a bit later with the spelling: Maci, Macy, Macey were three spellings we kicked around. I can't remember now which one I wanted and which one Bobby wanted, or why we ultimately decided on Macy as the spelling. I looked through my pregnancy journal tonight, and nothing was written about it.

Imagine my surprise tonight as Macy is working on her homework.

Macy: I've been spelling my name differently at school.

Me: Really?

Macy: (writes MACEY at the top of her paper) I like this spelling better.

Me: Why?

Macy: I don't know. It just makes my name longer.

When I was in middle school, 1 out of 5 girls were named Jennifer Lynn. I went through a phase where I said my name was Jenni, Jenny, and then started putting Lynne. Anything to make myself different from the others. That's the main reason Macy is Macy instead of Emily, Hannah, Chloe, Jessica, etc.

It cracks me up that she did the same thing I did, when I worked so hard to pick an unusual name for her.