Tuesday, September 4, 2007

You've got to be kidding me...

Those of you in education will appreciate this story...

Last week during SSR (Silent Sustained Reading) a girl was talking on her cell phone. I was several rows behind her, so I reached over, tugged on her ponytail, and told her to put her phone away. She said, "ow', shot me a nasty look, and asked why. I replied she wasn't allowed to talk on her phone during SSR. She grumbled, but put the phone away. There are 92 students in study hall, so I have no idea who she is. End of story.

Then I find out today that her mom called and complained! Said that I "hurt" her daughter by pulling on her ponytail and that she yelled so loudly she embarrassed herself. My principal explained that he was sure I didn't mean to intentionally harm her daughter, but she wasn't to be talking on her cell phone during school.

What bothers me the most is the mom was more worried about me tugging on her ponytail than her daughter talking on her cell phone during school! It is situations like these that give high school students a bad rap--90% of them are good kids who do what they are supposed to, and that 10% brings them all down. And it is parents like these that teach their children that it is okay to put the blame on someone else, that it is okay to break the rules.

Guess who the daughter was talking to on her cell phone? Her mom.

No comments: