Thursday, January 6, 2011

Grandparents

I've been a bit out of touch this week, as evidenced by my lack of posting.

Bobby's grandma passed away on Friday, and we traveled yet again to the prosperous town of Salem for her funeral. While it's sad that she is gone, it's not sad at the same time. She was 90, and she's in a much better place, her body is complete again, and her mind is back. There towards the end, the last 6 months or so, she couldn't remember who we were, where she was. Her sisters, her husband, her only child had already died, so there wasn't much holding her here anymore.

My grandparents died when I was young, and even then, I didn't have much contact with them before they died. Two died before I was born, the other two when I was about 9 or 10. I truthfully don't have many memories of them. That makes me sad.

But I am very thankful the girls had a chance to get to know their great-grandma, and while we didn't spend as much time with her, I think they will remember her as they get older. They should have fond memories of my parents and Bobby's dad, and I am very thankful for that as well.

No comments: